Image from grittyspanish.com

Hola,

My chosen free inquiry topic is how to learn Spanish. Learning a second language is an enriching experience. It is important to know the best ways to learn a new language as languages can be very complex. When learning a new language, one must utilize their oral expression and comprehension, and written expression and comprehension skills. My experience of learning Spanish involved all these components which enhanced my comprehension and fluency.

Below is a TED Talk on how to learn a language. I would recommend watching this prior to commencing learning a new language.

There are multiple ways to learn Spanish. You can do so independently or collaboratively in a classroom environment. If you choose to learn Spanish independently, a great resource is an application called “Duolingo” (Duolingo – The world’s best way to learn a language). Duolingo will teach basic words and then progress to different conjugations and sentence structures. This application utilizes oral expression, oral comprehension, written expression, and written comprehension skills. Another suggestion on how to teach yourself Spanish is through podcasts and reading books. The book “Spanish For Dummies” (Spanish For Dummies: Wald, Susana, Kraynak, Cecie: 8601400007815: Books – Amazon.ca) can be used as a learning resource. The chosen independent way to teach yourself Spanish greatly depends on the type of learner that you are.

My personal experience learning Spanish was very hands on in a classroom environment. My Spanish teachers can from Spanish speaking countries which allowed me to hear different accents and interact with a first language speaker. Learning Spanish in a classroom environment with others allowed me to utilize conversational skills in addition to oral expression/comprehension and written expression/comprehension. Typically, Spanish teachers incorporate a textbook, videos, quizzes, presentations, discussions, and essays to develop language skills.

I find that learning a new language to be an exciting and rewarding experience. Learning a second language creates many opportunities such as travelling, friendships, and employment opportunities. It is important for an individual to choose which learning method is best suited to them. Once this is determined, Spanish can be easily learned with practice and dedication.

Adiós,

Kyra